Tuesday, April 04, 2006

I'll give you... a space western is stupid.

...That's why it surprised me so much when I fell spurs-over-lasers in love with one.

Truthfully, I only kind of like cowboy flicks (save for Young Guns II and Tombstone...pseudo-cowboy, but fine filmmaking), and I really can't tolerate science-fiction. Star Wars makes me angry, Star Trek bores me and Star Crunch tastes like chocolate-covered boogers. (OK, I like Star Crunch, and it tastes nothing like boogers, but points are best made in threes).

So, when my friend Allan told me to pop in a DVD of a failed TV series from 2002 called "Firefly," I kept waiting for the punchline. However, it was better than editing the video I was supposed to be editing at the time, so I tuned in.

Holy....




...




....shit.



I have never loved a television series more. I have never had more heart investment, more head investment, and more wallet investment in a television series. I've bought the series DVD set twice, I bought the movie version twice (which we'll get to in a minute), I bought the comic book, and...good lord...I even bought the action figures. I love each of the ten principal characters with an interest that borders on perversion, when you consider that all of them are fictional, and when you consider that one of them is a spaceship. I've found myself using words like "Warp drive," "Grav-boot," and "Pert Near" in casual conversation. I've even cussed in Chinese once, which may seem odd, but it makes sense when you see the show. I listen to the podcasts about the show, I keep up with websites about the show, and I'm even a member of a couple of them.

I...am...a...geek.

I didn't mean to be. I've actually been in a six-month-long get-cooler regimen, including new clothes, frequent haircuts, and a scented spray I'm told is made of toilet water. This regimen isn't actually making me any cooler, but at least it's expensive. But this whole "Firefly" thing is really screwing things up.

It's the writing more than anything. The writing is so....so....so well-done. The writer, Joss Whedon, writes like I would if I were twice as smart and thrice as clever. It's deep...it's meaningful. Like, actually meaningful...it's about God, it's about family, it's about love, it's about trust, fear, gender roles, free speech, prostitution, God, the government, and sometimes it's about guns. The acting is almost entirely brilliant, with some exceptions, and even those exceptions are poorly-acted resucitated by well-written.

The show was cancelled because nobody watched it. Nobody watched it because it was on against something that was apparently much more interesting, and because Fox made them play the episodes out of order, so they made no sense. It also failed because "Space Western" is a pretty stupid idea.

But it worked. It totally worked. It is powerful, and it is profound.

The show failed, but the fans spread the word. They did such a good job, that the DVD sales of the failed show (it lasted less than a season) blew away expectations. They had to do a second and a third run...they flew off the shelves, and as word spread, they did more flying. They sold so many that Universal Studios picked up the failed (now extremely profitable) TV show and did the unprecendented and unthinkable...they made a big-budget movie out of it. The movie is called "Serenity," and it's a phenomenon.

Please please go rent the movie. If you can't rent it, borrow it from me. If you don't know me, buy it on Amazon. Better yet, buy the series. Watch at least three episodes. If you don't like it after that, I'll buy it from you.

I hate science fiction. I love Firefly. Go see Serenity, go and buy Firefly.

Now, I have some geekdom to get to.

Peace,
Justin

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a geek, but that show is amazing! :)

Russ Dave Beckner said...

Well, I watched it! From day one, on FOX. May have even told you about it.

But nobody listens to me... nope, never listen to Russ. He's an old fart... he'll watch anything sci-fi... so it can't be any good.

Well... there it is!

;-) xoxox

Anonymous said...

Yep - Diane and I borrowed the DVD set from our goateed friend, and watched them all in a period of 2 days...they are that good. Now if we can just get another movie made, that would be sweet.

stinkowoman said...

I LOVE FIREFLY!!!!! Welcome to geekdom! I'm a card carrying member. I'll lend you my Finding Serenity book when I'm done. The literary side of you will LOVE it.

knwd said...

P.S. I really wish I could curse in Chinese. That would be the ultimate in cool. I want to ask a couple of my friends to teach me, but I generally mispronounce things so badly that what I'm saying bears no resemblance whatsoever to what I think I'm saying.

knwd said...

I wrote a previous post (before my P.S.) but apparently it got lost in the ether. What I meant to say went something like this...

I stumbled onto your blog because I'm local here in Cincinnati, and I got interested in your posting (and the ensuing discussion) on Church. I kept reading, only to find out that my husband and I aren't the only ones hooked on Firefly.

When he first started watching it, I mocked him and the show. But then I started to get interested in the characters, and I found out what the premise for the setting was, and I was surprised to find myself getting drawn in. Since then, my husband and I have watched all of the episodes on DVD and the movie. I'm only bummed that there won't be a sequel, or if there is, one of my favorite characters won't be in it. (How could they do that??? SO not right!) Anyway, I gotta' say that the characters are awesome, really clever and unique, and I wish they would bring the show back to TV, with the entire original cast. (I'd be willing to just pretend that the movie was a dream sequence...)

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it
»