Friday, July 22, 2011

I have a confession to make: there is a dent in my couch in the shape of my ass.

It is a relatively new couch; just a couple of years old. It's a sturdy couch, a nice thick foam-covered-in-leather cushion in the seat...not the loose cotton-stuffing type that lends itself to butt dents. No sir, this is the genuine article... I think it might have been fair for the manufacturer to even tout it as butt-dent-resistant.

This is embarrassing. Do you know how many hours of laying/sitting on a nice leather couch it takes to create a butt dent? A lot. A whole lot. If it were a ten-year-old couch, or one of those well-seasoned couches that goes through the decade-long Couch Circle of Life (living room, family room, basement, college dorm, son/daughter's first apartment, curb, back to someone's living room, repeat) I could understand it. But no, I made that butt-dent through countless unfocused hours of sloggily lazing about on that couch over the last two years. And here's the thing: I didn't even enjoy that time all that much. It would have been one thing if I spent it doing exactly what I wanted to do, but I think I just default to that position; it is a weak sort of "home base" for me when I'm not sure what to do with my time and energy.

I tell you that to tell you this: I have wasted many, many hours of my life and I plan on not doing that anymore, because it's dumb.

It's not about "watching TV is bad," or "vegging out is bad" or "hooray for exercise, now blast those quads!" It's simply about being intentional with one's hours. I'm starting to think that the two greatest blasphemies are squandered time and self-pity, and I dare say that squandered time may be the worse of the two. If I want to watch TV or a movie, I will... but it should be because I want to enjoy the experience. I will dial up the program I want to see, that I chose beforehand, and I will take it in with presence and attention. And when it is over, I will turn it off. I will surf the internet with direction, and if I don't have direction, I will attend to one of the fifty other things I would like to accomplish. In short, I will choose my attention, not piddle away to a static default.

When I was single, I thought I was as busy as any human can get. "Where has all the time gone?" I thought.
When I got married, I was amazed at how much busier I got. "Remember when I was single, and I had all that free time? Where has all that time gone?" I thought.
Then I had a child. And I thought, "What did I do with all of my free time when it was just the two of us? NOW I am busy."
Then I became a half-time single parent. And I frequently think, "What did I do with all of my free time back when I had a partner in parenting and taking care of the home? Where has all that time gone?"

The couch ate it. I will feed it no more.

Cheers,
Justin

2 comments:

Nick Farina said...

A noble goal, sir. One that I am violating by reading your blog at this moment when I should be working!

elo boost said...


Taking into consideration that the other day may have already been one of several slowest of the season regarding product sales, FIFA fourteen sold twenty-eight,088 about almost all platforms to get at most important, a small amount of age 14 per cent in last week.Call Of Duty: Ghouls had been properly at the rear of on 17,872, using a drop curtain of 2 per-cent, although Field 4 got to number 3 inside the wholly platforms information having of sixteen,053 product sales and a decline involving 12 percent.FIFA 15 Coins
FIFA 15 Ultimate Team Coins