Friday, June 25, 2004

If I had it to do over again, I would laugh with Stacy more.

I’ve been married for nigh two years now, and as I look back on these quick eight seasons, I wish I would have laughed more with Stacy. It’s not a morbid regret thing or a guilt thing…I’m just trying to beat myself to the whole regret process. I heard Allan Fuller give a talk yesterday entitled, “10 Things I Wish I Knew When I Was 16” to a captive audience of teenagers. It was surreal to hear a man who is double the age of his audience try to forewarn them of what they may someday regret. I know people did it to me when I was 16, too…and I didn’t listen to them, for the most part. So, now, I figure, I’ll beat myself to it by about 14 years, and hopefully begin to correct whatever it is I would have regretted at age 38.

All that to this…I wish I would have laughed more with Stacy during these last two years. She is a very funny person…very clever, I think. I may just think that because we have similar senses of humor…but, regardless, I think she’s hilarious. We’ve had a few “big winners” as we call them…some funny moment that makes you laugh until you cry until you hurt until you have to force yourself to inhale. Then, ten minutes after you started, your still enjoying those uncontrollable stalling giggles that troll around your diaphragm like an old boat engine. Those big winners are unforgettable, and I wish I had more of them. I wish I had spent more time being silly. I’m not sure how to accomplish that, exactly…the world’s a busy place and irreverent silliness with your spouse doesn’t fit well into your average salaried position…but I wish I would have found a way. I suppose it’s sort of like saying, “I wish I would have made twice as much money for the same job,” I mean, it would have been great, but I’m not sure how to make that happen. How do I let go of tension? How to I choose to be jovial? Is it a matter of ignoring all the things that sit, immovable, in your shoulders and lower back like Scottish fare sits in your stomach? Is it a matter of seeing a masseuse, an acupuncturist, a prayer practitioner, drinking more tea, drinking less coffee, scenting my pillow like lilacs and buying softer towels? Do I learn meditation, practice my breathing, and create a mantra? I want to laugh more with Stacy…she’s very funny and it’s one of the things we do best…but I’m not sure how to let go enough to do it.

Here’s a joke that make me laugh out loud…maybe it will do the same for you:
…what did the zero say to the eight?
…nice belt.

…….hehehehe….
…she likes that one.

Peace,
Justin

No comments: