Monday, February 21, 2005

There is no easier way to encourage me to ignore a particular cultural phenomenon then for every Christian I know to tell me that I absolutely have to engage it.

To list a few: "The Purpose Driven Life," "Saving Private Ryan," the Cornerstone Festival, Billy Graham's travelling roadshow, "Body for Life," Switchfoot, anything Bill Hybels wrote, "The Passion of the Christ," Icthus, "A New Kind of Christian," and "Wild at Heart."

This is not say that these are all bad creations...The Vineyard sent me to a compulsory viewing of "The Passion of the Christ" and I found it to be an extremely powerful and beautifully horrific adaptation of the story of Christ's death and resurrection. In fact, for all I know, these are all amazing pieces of work...I just hate it when every Christian I know decides that if Jesus were here and He had a gift certificate to Borders, this is fer sure what He'd spend it on.

I never said I wasn't a bit of a jerk.

Anyhow, I ended up taking a gamble on a couple of these. I ended up really liking Switchfoot (though I'm still not certain they are, as I was told, 'like Radiohead for Christians'...I'm pretty sure that Radiohead was Radiohead for Christians). I started to read "The Purpose Driven Life" to see what all the fuss was about, and put it down after 15 pages or so, because I was tired of Rick Warren telling me that my life could now begin to carry some real meaning because I had bought his book.

I am also just finishing "Wild At Heart," which was another compulsory Vineyard thing...and I am really glad that it was. "Wild at Heart," for all of its hype and overselling, has turned out to be a fantastic read. I plan to write a bit more about the book as soon as I finish it. I can't say for sure, but I think it may actually change the way I choose to live in some ways...we'll see...I'll keep you posted.

But may I share with you three books that changed my life? Strangely enough, all three are not only not Christian books...but they are distinctly counter-Christian...at least as I read them. But it was these three that gave me some incredible lessons in both the power and weakness of humanity, and gave me a perspective on my own place in the universe that pointed me toward a God who is manifested in an impossible triad of Sovereign, Benevolent and Unchanging.

1. The Fountainhead. Ayn Rand's seminal humanistic tome, this book both empowered me to know my own strength and forced me to reconcile it with my inability to account for it's genesis.

2. Siddhartha. German philospher Herman Hesse's fictional retelling of the life of the Buddha, this book was a two-hour read that continues to challenge everything my body and my mind tell me will offer me lasting fulfillment.

3. The History of Rasselas, Prince of Abissinia. Restoration kingpin Samuel Johnson's profound tale of a young prince's search for meaning, this short book echoes many of the themes that I had read in Siddhartha four years earlier, but left me with a nagging sense of despondence at man's search for purpose and meaning apart from a divine power. (See: Ecclesiastes).

I don't know if these texts will do it for everybody...each person has his or her own art that will speak to him or her...but they did it for me. I hope you get time to give one, two or all of them a read, though...if nothing else, it will give you one more option when the Final Jepoardy category is, "Relatively Obscure English Literature."

And I'm sure I'll see "Saving Private Ryan" someday...I'm told I need to be sure not to eat beforehand.

Peace,
Justin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! virginia beach awnings and canopies wholesale