Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Somebody emailed me a terrific question about God...I answered it today. I hope I'm right.

---
---------------------------------------------------------
What exactly does fear of God mean applied to the New Testament and to revivals in the church? Exactly how do you have fear of God in our times? Why is the term fear applied to God when the New Testament emphasizes the love of God??
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear XXXXXX,

Thanks for sending in your question about “Fear of God.” This is a question that I struggled with for a long time, and this dilemma of how to understand both a God who loves us and a God to be feared is one that has had theologians scratching their heads for centuries.

I have read where many pastors have advised that the term “fear,” when applied to God in the context of the New Testament (that is to say, under the understanding that our sin is forgiven by Jesus’ death on the cross), is best understood to mean “respect,” or “reverence.” The idea conveyed here is that, because we are forgiven by God for all of our sins, that we are not to fear God anymore, but rather to revere and respect Him.

Frankly, I think this is a mistake, and, while a very pleasant thought, a misinterpretation. I think that “fear” is exactly the right word...and it’s not a proper translation to equate “fear” with “respect” or “reverence.” (Can you imagine Abraham willingly slaying his own son because he respected God? [Genesis 22]). Throughout the Bible, we see the word fear used to mean exactly that...a reaction of awe and even terror at God’s supreme power.

I think that fear of God is, when you think about it, a pretty natural outcropping of understanding His power. Have you ever been to Niagra Falls? I had the good fortune to visit the falls in the dead of winter at about 3:00 a.m. when I was a child. I was about nine years old, and we swung by Niagra on the long journey home from our Christmas vacation in Maine. My dad woke me as I slept in the back of our old Pontiac station wagon, and told me to get my coat on. I stepped out of our dark and silent car, and was startled to hear a low rumble off in the distance. We passed pine trees laden with thick coats of ice as we moved closer and closer to the rumbling sound. After about ten minutes of walking, with the rumbling now almost ear-piercing, we stepped through a break in the trees and I saw a sight I will never forget: millions of gallons of water thundering over the majestic Niagra Falls. I clung to my Dad’s side and gaped open-mouth at the Falls...even though there was a guard rail, a chain fence and 100 yards between the falls and me, I couldn’t help but feel like I was going to be sucked in. I was in a the sort of awe and fear that only an encounter with incomprehensible power can conjure.

This, I think, is what the fear of God is about. It is not a choice...you don’t choose to fear God...any more than you choose to be loved by Him. I think you fear God as a very natural outcropping of realizing, even in small part, His enormous power and incomprehensible sovereignty. The choice for each human is whether or not to pursue the kind of wisdom and humility it takes to begin that realization. When the Bible talks about God-fearing people, it is describing powerful humans (such as Abraham, Moses and Ruth) who have come to recognize how infinitely more powerful God is.

How do we balance that with the idea of a loving God? That’s my favorite part. My fear of God couples with my understanding of His love for me in such a beautiful paradox...the all-powerful Creator of all things, who is mighty and deserves our fear and awe, actually loves me with a love so profound that he chose to sacrifice Himself instead of me. That’s the amazing thing...we should fear God, and yet the ultimate sacrifice came from Him.

Does this help? Does this answer your question? Please let me know if I can shed any more light here, or if I can help you with anything else.

Peace,
Justin

---

What do you guys think...is this close to truth?

Peace,
Justin

No comments: