Tuesday, April 19, 2005

The blisters on my feet have organized, and their leader is demanding paid coffee breaks.

Craig Spinks and I (see: www.quadrid.com) have been traversing the surprisingly clean streets of the Las Vegas strip at the rate of three blisters a mile, five miles a day. The Strip is approximately three miles long, two blocks wide, and four inches deep. Everything is gilded, shiny, opulent and blinking. I really like Las Vegas...in our trip to the Sahara last night, we passed by New York, Paris, Egypt and Rome...we heard screams from two rollercoasters mounted atop gigantic hotels, watched Caesar as he watched us pass his Palace, and saw a pillar of light extending from the top of a shaded glass pyramid into the midnight sky. We saw gamblers, revelers and honeymooners; drunkards, lovers and those who sell love. We spent almost three hours (starting just after midnight) tossing our silver coins onto blackjack tables in the hopes that our jacks would meet our aces. At one-dollar per hand (you've got to walk a long way in Vegas to find tables that cheap), I ended up drinking terrific cocktails for three hours and getting paid $20 to do it.

We spent our day wandering the labyrinth of exhibitions at the NAB floor show...an amazing collection of what seems like every media and tech company in the world, each showing off their latest innovations and next greatest inventions. I heard words today that I've never heard before, (words like "datacast," "info parity," and "bitstream") that I have no idea what they mean, but I'm pretty sure they all mean the same thing. Sometimes I wonder if tech companies have a machine similar to slot machine, with words like like "data" "media" "info" and "tele" on the first wheel, words like "flow," "rendering," "logic" and "infra" on the second wheel, and words like "engine" "processor" and "solution" on the third wheel...and when they need a new product, well, they just pull the handle. I saw some unbelievable feats of technology today...it made me really excited to try some new video stuff. I was excited in a way I haven't been in a while about making videos...it's great to get a boost like that every once in a while. I look forward to going back tomorrow.

We're in the LAS-McCarren International Airport right now, waiting for my lovely bride to arrive in Sin City. She's joining me just as the business end of my trip ends and the vacation end begins. I have really been looking forward to having her here...it's hard to have so many fun experiences and not be able to share it with her. Most everybody who is married for any length of time tries to remember what life was like as a single person...if these last couple of days are any indication, it reminds me of one of the reasons I love being married. My thoughts, my reactions, and my experiences just don't feel complete anymore unless I get to share them with her. Is that weird, do you think? I guess that's the closest thing I'll ever come to being Jerry MacGuire, which is probably for the best.

I'm looking forward to seeing her get off the plane. It's a giddy kind of anticipation.

Peace,
Justin