Friday, October 22, 2004

I think I'm still in that phase where swearing is a novelty.

Which is odd, considering a do a fair amount of it. I think the trick there is to hang around people who will probably be offended by it, then try your best not to do it around them. That way, it feels naughtier when you do...hence, the novelty.

Speaking of offensive...I'd like to get gross for a minute. In my last entry, Ryan Cook (brilliant writer, at c-change.blogspot.com) asked why peeing on a campfire is an act of aggression. Well...it just so happens...

An acquaintence of mine challenged me to do something very bizarre yesterday...he challenged me to pee in public. It wasn't some sick exhibitionist thing, as far as I know...and if it was, I can't wait for justinpeesonatree.com to go public...it was a response to this issue of male aggression. If you're missing the connection there, you're remarkably close to being me 15 hours ago. We got to talking about aggression (seems to be the topic de mode this week) and how I'm beginning to think that it's generally oppressed in an unhealthy way in most modern American males. So we got into it, and I told him that it seems wrong to me to show aggression in public, regardless of how morally "OK" I feel like natural male aggression is. I told him it just seems socially wrong...I don't want to be that guy. So, he challenged me to pee in public. He said that he thinks that peeing is an aggressive action (hence, he suggested, terms like "pissed off" and "piss on you"), and that if I didn't feel comfortable starting a fight with someone, that I should try peeing in public. You know, like on a tree, or a curb, or a building, or a schnauzer who is peeing on a car tire (just for the poetic justice). He said it would be an aggressive action. I said it would be public indecency. He said take a risk, do it in the dark, go in my backyard if I'm afraid of going somewhere else. I told him that I don't care for him much anymore. He said it would be freeing.

As I left my acquaintence's place, I really started pondering on this ridiculous idea. Then, on the way out, I very seriously considered peeing on his Honda. Then, in a gracious blessing of social suppression, I decided not to. But I did decide two things:

1. I need to make better acquaintances.
2. I need to think about this more...there might be something to this.

Have you ever read Alexander Pope? Jonathan Swift? These guys seemed to be obsessed with peeing...I wonder if it could be a...umm...something? I dunno...that's why they won't let me shrink heads.

Gotta run.

Peace,
Justin

No comments: