Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Some of my best conversations come over my first cup of coffee in the early morning, and some come over my last beer in the very, very early morning.

This post is about the former.

Lately, I've been working out each weekday morning with a good friend. In my attempt to lose the 35 pounds necessary to remove my least favorite set of chins, I've taken on a fairly rigorous diet and excercise plan. The plan goes like this:
1. Get up at 6:20, pick up friend down the street and get to gym by 6:30.
2. Work out until 7:30.
3. Sit on friend's porch and drink coffee until 8:15, and talk about the stuff of life.

Every morning we tackle the same three topics, and one wildcard. We talk about sex, we talk about faith & religion, and we talk about the squirrels that are eating a hole in his roof. The wildcard topic depends on what movie was on in the cardiocinema, how work is going, and how strong the coffee is. Either way, it's always a pleasant way to start my morning, and I love the conversation.

This morning was harder than previous...

This morning we talked about heaven and hell and what makes a Christian and what makes you saved. My friend is a very smart 20-something with a lifetime of history in the church, several years of missionary experience, and deep knowledge of the Bible. I am a very smart 20-something with a lifetime of history in and out of churches, several years of church employment, and a deep-seated need to keep asking the question.

He talked about his very cool experiences traveling the country and watching pagan people in pagan rituals at pagan festivals worshiping humanism and reveling in relativism. He said he hates relativism. He's got answers that involve Jesus, and the Bible, and what you have to figure out before you die.

I respect that...but I don't have those answers. I've got lots and lots of questions...but not a lot of answers. I know it's supposed to be noble to have questions...it's the intellectual pursuit, right? But that's not entirely true...I do have answers, I just have them for a while. I've known for a long time that a belief that the Bible is infallible feels wrong to me. I've known for a long time that the idea that you must "give your life" to Christ before you die in order to be with God in the afterlife feels wrong to me. I've known that the pursuit of God may be the end in and of itself, and that feels right to me.

It's a weak man that pretends shys away from what he knows is true...and these are what's true, at least as far as I can tell right now. And he shared what he believes is true, and that makes him strong too.

He is what most would call a Christian. And, for the first time since high school, I'm fairly convinced that by many standards, I am not. Some of my questions...and some of my truths...don't match those of the Christians I went to Young Life with and volunteered at church with and sit next to at work. In fact, it's quite probable that I've become the dangerous brand of pseudo-Christian that my youth-group leaders warned us about...the kind that question the basic truths of Christianity, and bit-and-piece out the Bible at there own discretion to match their worldviews. For the first time since becoming a young man, I am the moral relativist compared to those who used to be my peers. I still have so many questions left to answer, and I'm not ready to settle into some of the truths of fundamental Christianity.

I am the outsider in some ways...stuck in bizarre purgatory between religions...and I think I'm learning how to value that.

More to come, I'm sure.

Peace,
Justin

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's nothing wrong with questioning your faith.

In Acts 17:11, the Bereans don't just assume that Paul's preaching the truth; they read the Scriptures and see for themselves if the two are contradictory or not.

In Mark 9:23-24, we see a father who is seeking a miracle from Jesus for his son. Jesus tells him, "Everything is possible for one who believes."

The father's response? "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

Don't let anybody tell you that having questions or even *gasp* doubts is wrong. It's far better to admit your uncertainty than it is to let "faith" be found in thoughts or words alone.

Shilo said...

Justin,
It's crazy-super weird that I stumbled upon this today. I too have been feeling so alone in this little world I have created dancing a fine line between being the "christian" I was brought up to be and still holding onto some views and questions that go against everything I was taught to be just and noble and right. It's a scary position to be in and lonely at times. Thanks for your realness and honesty!

Keith W said...

Instead of focusing on what you don't believe or what you are questioning,.... I wonder what things you would hold as truth or at least close to truths/beliefs. Do you believe in a God as creator in the traditional sense (not evoluting vs. creationism,... rather an intelegent designer)? Do you believe Christ walked this earth? DO you believe He was/is God? Do you believe in an after life? Do you believe God is active today or sitting back passively? DO you hold anything as an absolute truth (I know you buddy, so I doubt anything is absolute for you in a fundamentalist way.... I guess "strong view" is a better word choice).

I guess I am trying to guage where my best friend is caught.... is it between religions? Between institutionalized Christianity and a relationship with God? Is it that you had your AM beer and coffee to close together?

I'm sorta in the same place as you. Mine is more doubting than questioning.... I have gotten the "corporate line" all to often when asking questions... I have learned to keep my struggles/concerns/doubts between me and the God I wrestle/enjoy/love/pursue/wonder about.

Love you man,.... really I do.

Keith

Meghan said...

Hi Justin,

I usually check in on your page every now and then and always enjoy a good laugh or deep thought. This seems like a pretty serious confession of the heart. I know how rough some Christians can be and how hard and yet freeing it must have been to put all that in writing and post it for anyone to read. I think you are probably on a very similar page as my sister and my mom. I bet they would love to sit down and talk to you sometime. The one thing I would say from my own life and experience of questions and doubts and the exhaustion that they cause for me is that I have found rest in knowing and believing that I am just a sheep...a dumb sheep...a sheep that will never understand the shepherd, but a sheep that is in grave danger trying to navigate this world without my shepherd.

-Meghan

Anonymous said...

Dude you know how I know you are smarter than I am? When I wake up I wonder where my pants are and if I can make it to the bathroom without falling on my face. Next thing I know I'm on the metro with a Cheerio stuck to my suit wondering if my tie matches my shirt.

But I digress... As you know from knowing me for about 27 years I like to argue and I like to pick sides and stick to them. I don't like wavering on opinions because for some reason I see that as weak. However, in this area I too struggle to figure out why I think one thing, am told another, and feel even another. I figure the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. What I do think I know is that those who challenge their own beliefs are better for it. If I learned nothing else from my Jesuit education it was to question everything, read everything, and learn as much as you can and then you will come to the truth... turns out priests when they are doing what they are supposed too are pretty smart.

So that's what I got, I have no idea if that made sense but I kinda like just typing. Later.

Matt