Wednesday, December 22, 2004

I watched a drunk girl dance with a couple of guys last night.

It was a little like anebriated pinball...the men stood as two rubber bumpers, one in front of her and one behind, and she dully bounced between them like a pinball might if it had a few too many and turned to Jell-O. (There's a mixed metaphor if I've ever seen one). Her eyes were 70% closed the whole time, and she had the half-smile of a dental patient just before he succumbs the anesthetic cocktail. It was that look...that face that got me. It was a spooky mix of distance and relief, and I suspect that the former caused the latter.

Please don't hear this as a judgement thing...I have spent many nights in just such a state, and I enjoyed most of them. It's just that...for whatever reason, as I stood next to a couple of my friends at a tavern last night, I noticed this trio, and I felt bad. I didn't feel pity for them...I didn't feel like I needed to throw a Bible at their heads and offer them saving grace right there next to the subbed-out speakers blaring Eminem. I felt bad that, lots of the time, this feels like the best that things can get.

Our salon commercials talk about "escape." Our vacation packages are called "getaways." Our bath bottles advertise that with their products you can "slip away" into a bubbly abyss. It seems that the best thing we can hope for is to not be where we are. We want to get out of our heads...to get out of our bodies...to feel less...to be lighter, to diminish.

What are we escaping from? Why have we been created to inhabit our bodies and carry about our brains, only to wish nothing more than to relieve ourselves of each? Why do I want the same thing?

I want more for our species than to hope for non-existence. Though that may be our end, it bothers me that escape...numbness...seems to be a highly desireable and heavily marketed quality. I want to hope for a true consciousness marked by presence, not by absence.

Do you remember that scene in Fight Club where Tyler pours lye on Jack's hand...and forces him to keep present to the pain? I wonder if this is where they were headed with that.

Peace,
Justin

No comments: