Friday, December 17, 2004

Sometimes it's the art that gets me, and sometimes it's the palette.

I don't know if you ever have these palette wonder experiences...but I imagine all of us do...and I love them. I was sitting in my living room yesterday, remarkably underwhelmed, and zoning out to what I remember as "Nanny 911," but what may well have been some other banal waste of my time, such as "Meet Your New Mommy," "Survivor: Vanuatu," or "Cold Case." As my brain steam-bathed luxiuriously in its color-stim stew, a commercial for shampoo came on. A blond woman hocking the latest innovation in personal home hair solutions used the word "soothing." I love that word. It is an emotional onomatopoeia...its very sound makes me feel what it denotes. The word is thick like whole milk, and warm like tomato soup. I wore it as a sweater for a second or two, and then marveled at its effect on me. And then I realized...that was just the one word.

Here's where I'm headed with this: we have many, many, many words. My delight in the word "soothing" was pleasant, but the palette wonder came in the overwhelming reality that I have so many more words to choose from. Did you ever go down into your grandma's basement and find that ancient stack of National Geographics? Did you pick one out (probably from the middle), and open it to find a beautiful, exotic photo on the page before you? That was the art. Then, did you step back and realize that each of those yellow magazine spines with black print sitting in front of you meant another whole collection of such beauty? That was the palette. I love that feeling...it's overwhelming...it's immersive...and it feels reverent.

It works in libraries for me. It works with colors. It works with music. I love that feeling.

It's nice to post again.

Peace,
Justin