Sunday, November 14, 2004

I am conducting a highly scientific research experiment, and I will require your support.

I am writing to solicit your donations to a grant that will fund my highly scientific research experiment. My experiment is already in progress, so a portion of the grant will reimburse me for charges incurred in its exercise. My highly scientific research experiment is very cost-effective, and may change the future of medicine, technology and the consumer home plastics industry.

If you are not already convinced to contribute, let me explain my highly scientific research experiment:

Eighteen months ago, I began a specimen collection. My collection consists of various sizes, shapes and colors of Rubbermaid and Tupperware, which, at one point or another, each housed leftovers of a meal that my wife made. Each of these specimen containers was transported to the church where I work, and left in highly scientific refridgeration for about four hours, next to some cans of Diet Rite and an old half-eaten Wendy's salad. Then, right around noon on the day they were introduced into the church environment, they were removed from refridgeration, had the lid removed to expose the specimen to the elements, and the large majority of contents were shoveled into my mouth. Chew, swallow, digest. We will no longer follow the story of these particular contents, as they are scientifically irrelevant, and had a rather nasty end.

The remainder of the specimen...that is to say, those morsels which were stuck to the side of the container, huddled together along the bottom of the container, or were just too plentiful to eat...were then re-sealed in the container, and the container was left on my desk for the rest of the afternoon, (often with the plastic fork I had used...just a reminder to the remaining morsels not to try anything funny).

This is where things get really scientific...

After a day or so, I would, in a highly scientific manner, get disgusted by the mostly-eaten leftovers sitting on my desk in a tinted polypropylene container. I would then, with great care and precision, move said container into a large pile of similar containers, which grew ever larger in the corner of my office. I would then, with equal care and precision, tell my wife that I fully intended to take them home and wash them, and do so with a straight face. (Environmentalists are always trying to thwart scientific innovation).

After several months of such behavior, my specimen collection was complete...each container exhibiting a different stage of bacterial and fungal growth. It was at this point that we moved into stage 2...or the "Chrysalis" stage. Annoyed by the ever-growing pile of multi-colored specimen containers, I brought a large cardboard box to work, piled all of the specimen containers in, and drove home with my windows open. Upon arriving at home (and being harshly lobbied by the environmentalists to shut down the experiment and clean up the site), I highly scientifically snuck the cardboard box around to the side of the house, closed it up, and taped it shut. Thus begins the Chrysalis stage, and this is where you come in.

I am seeking reimbursement for the cardboard box (40 cents), the tape (1 cent) and the various specimen containers (25 dollars). I am also seeking adequate funds to pacify the environmentalists (pretty earrings = $39.95), so that the experiment may continue. I will also require 1lb (one pound) of Chuck Roast Sumatran Blend coffee ($7.95), a well-padded lawn chair ($15) and a good book about glass blowing or interpersonal conflict ($7-$10), in order that I might sit and observe the progress of the Chrysalis stage. Finally, I will require the sum of $200 for a three-day-stay at the Red Roof Inn down the street when the environmentalist faction decides that until I get that mess cleaned up, I can no longer live at home.

Thank you for your support. I look forward to receiving your checks, made out to me, in the mail or by PayPal. I thank you...and the future of technology thanks you.

Peace,
Justin

No comments: