Tuesday, November 02, 2004

I've seen many an American walking around today with an "I voted today!" sticker stuck to his or her chest.

Most of them look happy. That may be for one of two reasons:
1. Participating in the single most powerful act of democracy available to the individual fills their hearts with pride, consequently filling their faces with smile.
2. They like stickers as much as the rest of us.

I am guessing the majority would agree with #1. I, myself, am not so happy about the whole thing. Don't get me wrong...I love voting...sharing my opinion is among my favorite pastimes, as evidenced by my blog, my epinions account, and my ever-shrinking pool of sympathetic friends. I think that the ability to vote is to democracy what the Resurrection is to Christianity and what the brown-sugar apples are to Boston Market. My problem is that the system allowed me to vote for one of three people: 1. An intellectual Lilliputian with an ideology that seems more based on loosely Christian hunches than on hard facts, 2. SuperChin, the six-foot-three New England Python with a sharp wit, a forked tongue, and enough vague promises to make Herbert Hoover blush, and 3. A whole bunch of write-ins that nobody has ever heard of and who don't include the only guy I could stand to vote for four years ago: Ralph Nader.

It amazes me that, out of the 260 million Americans who make hot dogs and run banks pick up trash and provide versatile furniture solutions for modern living, THIS is the best we can come up with. All of all the men, women and brighter squirrels in this country, these two guys are the best we can think of to run the country. At the risk of being too forward, I think that should bother you too.

It's frustrating to think that I am left with the option to vote for one of two men that I don't like to have more political power than anyone else on the planet.

But...I made my vote. And no, I'm not telling you who I voted for. I want to keep the few blog-readers that I have. :)

Peace,
Justin