Tuesday, November 16, 2004

An old friend wrote to me this weekend...

To be precise, she's not really old...she's 25...and at my age it's not safe to call anybody "an old friend," as when I'm 65 I won't have any proper way to describe friends who really have held out that long. Either way, this old friend has recently married a bearded fellow with a gift for writing named Ben, and she wrote to tell me that Ben recently won a writing contest in Nashville. Ben wrote about what it was like to meet his hero, Mr. Tobias Wolff.

(By the way, that was first time I've inserted a link in HTML code. It feels a little bit like going on the big-boy potty).

In his piece, Ben asked, "What is it about our encounters with people we idolize that reduces us to nimrods?"

Another gifted writer, Dave Barry, asked the same question when he spoke at Miami. He told us of the time he ran into Barbara Bush at an important socialite function, and the best thing he could think of to say to then First Lady was, "I shop at the same grocery store as your son." Her reply was simply, "oh."

I relay this to you because I, too, have been inflicted with idol-proximity-nimrod-tongue. For me, it struck when I had the chance to meet my favorite band-leader on the planet, Mr. Bela Fleck. (Say "BAY-lah"...I would have put the accent in the right place, but that would be akin to not only using the big boy potty but also finding a way to engineer it to use 25% less water without a loss in functionality).

I was just outside of Nashville, in the wooded beauty of Montgomery-Belle State Park, where Victor Wooten was holding his first Bass-Nature Camp. I was reporting on the camp for NPR (a thin excuse to spend a few days with the best bass player I've ever heard), and on the third day, Victor invited his bandmates from the Flecktones to join the campers for a jam session. Bela showed up, banjo in tow, and sat down for a bit of lunch (root soup, as I recall...it's only marginally better than it sounds). Bela Fleck, my hero...sitting just a few feet away all by himself at a picnic table. What's a musical sycophant like me to do?

I did the only thing that made any sense...I got myself a bowl of root soup and sat down across from him. With my hands trembling and my breath in short, deliberately quiet spurts, I sat down next to Bela Freaking Fleck and His Freaking Bowl of Freaking Root Soup. Holy crap...how can I eat? What if I spill a little? What if I dribble soup on my shirt? What if I miss my mouth entirely with my spoon and accidentally render the best banjo player in the world blind in both eyes? I focused a great deal of energy on getting my spoon into the soup and DIRECTLY into my mouth, so as not to allow that fiendish soup the opportunity to run. I was doing pretty well...too well, in fact, as I was concentrating solely on the soup, and not communicating with Bela Freaking Fleck.

I had to say something...but what? I mean, what do you say to the guy that you've been waiting for years to say something to? Shoot...I've had plenty of time to think about this...WHY DIDN'T I COME UP WITH SOME WITTY REMARK? I had eight hours in the car on the way down...certainly something very funny rhymes with "banjo," and fits the limerick meter. Damn...time is wasting...quick...come up with something...Justin, you've got to have something unique to offer...something that nobody else could possibly offer...

...something totally unique...

...something regional, perhaps...or indigenous to Cincinnati...

...OF COURSE! PIE! Why yes...that's it indeed! I've never had a pie better (or taller) than the Banana Coconut Cream Pecan Pie that Cherrington's used to make....and I know the owner! Why, I could even provide such a pie for Mr. Fleck, should his discriminating tastes require it! Why yes, that's perfect...I'll have a pie sent to him. Next time he's in Cincinnati, I'll have a Banana Coconut Cream Pecan Pie sent to the good boys of the Flecktones, for them to eat and enjoy! Victory is mine!

Wait...no...there's still one obstacle. How do I voice this? How do I give voice to this singular act of generosity that I intend to offer to the world's best banjo player? Why, Justin, just get straight to the point! Certainly nobody wants to delay the acquisition of PIE! Yes, that's it...just offer it.

(To unabashedly borrow a literary device from Mr. Ben Vore): BACK TO THE ROOT SOUP TABLE:

Nothing has been said for a good 45 seconds now. I've been slurping my soup as Bela Fleck slurps his. Not a word spoken....but now I've got a plan. To break the silence, I present my first words to my musical hero....


"...Hey Bela?"

"Yeah?"

"....umm....do you like pie?"



Bela stares at me with a bizarre mixture of heard-from-stupid-drooling-fans-a-million-times jadedness and did-he-just-ask-me-if-I-liked-pie novelty. He answers...

"Sure...yeah, I guess."

Now what? Man, THROW OUT YOUR OFFER! WHO IN HIS RIGHT MIND WOULD TURN DOWN FREE PIE?

But wait...what if he doesn't like coconut. It's a pretty divisive fruit, coconut. It's why Mounds haven't really hit the mainstream. What if he doesn't like it...this whole pie venture hinges on the coconut now...and you can't afford to lose the sale on the coconut element.

But...without the coconut, what have you got? Everybody has had a banana cream pie...and pecan crust is standard pie-foundation. It's the COCONUT that unlocks the Pie-ey goodness...damn you, controversial coconut! I've got nothing to offer this guy. I have nothing to offer!

So, I replied.

"OK...great."

Then, I picked up my bowl of root soup, and walked away.



This marks my last substantial encounter with Bela Fleck. It may very well come to pass that either Bela or I will pass away some day, never having improved on our pie conversation. We will never break the post-pie barrier...never jump over the hurdle that I erected with my nimrod-mouthed pieatribe.

...and I'm certain that Mr. Bela Fleck will be the lesser for it.

Peace,
Justin

No comments: